Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What the Frick, Work?!

Yesterday my boss called me into her office. I had been waiting for this meeting for months. It's the meeting where she tells me how much my raise is. I know this because it happens the same way, every.single.year.

The conversation begins. "You've done a great job this year...blah blah blah..good employee...blah...here is your salary increase" as she slides the yellow post-it across the desk like a ransom note. Smiling from ear, knowing it will be 6% because that's exactly what BFF got just two months previous, I turn the post-it over and almost have a fucking heart attack. No, this can't be right. 2.4%? Are you sure? Looking at her, looking back at the post-it, looking at her again to see if it's a joke. Maybe you misheard her over the phone? No? Have I done something wrong? What do you mean, cutbacks? They cut raises in half? THIS company cut raises in HALF?! The company* that made $14 BILLION in profit last year cut fucking raises in half?!?! I think I just had a stroke. What is this world coming to when our company has to make cutbacks??

I gave her a half-hearted smile and thought about everything for a second. When my blood pressure had made it down to a survivable level, I said to her with wholehearted honesty, "you know what, I'm just glad I still have job. This raise, no matter how small, is really just an added bonus." And it's true. There are so many people without work right now, so I'm going to count my blessings every day when I wake up because at least I have a job to go to.

However, if I get laid off, laid off from this company, I'll probably end up on the 10 o'clock news. Just sayin'.


*I'm not telling you who I work for but it wouldn't be hard to find out.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Augh! That's so frustrating.

Also, this is something I've always wondered.... why, why, why do they always have to WRITE DOWN the salary increase they're giving you and then pass it to you in a sneaky manner??? WHY?? Why can't they just TELL you?? Are the offices bugged and they don't want anyone to know you're getting a raise? I have never understood this. It always makes me feel ridiculous.

Unknown said...

no raises for us at all this year..it sucks, but yes, I am still employed and getting a paycheck so I shouldn't complain. So I won't. *grr*

Samsmama said...

What a total let down! At least you have a good attitude about it. I don't know that I could have appeared grateful.

Matter Of Fact Mommy said...

BFF got 6%?! WTF. and i'm like stacie, i got no raise. just a tiny little bonus that may just help pay to get my hair highlighted or maybe get BOTH of my eyebrows waxed. heh.

but yeah, we're all lucky to have a job right about now... meh.

ATenorio said...

Hey, that sucks and it's okay to say so. I'll say it for you: 2.4% sucks balls. I dont know who you work for, but it a little embezellment (sp?) possible? How about you at least snag some office supplies. Reams of paper can be expensive you know.

Mary said...

On one hand, I'm so sorry you got a smaller raise than a coworker- what's up with that? on the other, what a great person you are for being grateful for it. Good for you!
Very impressive.
Back when I worked in an office and actually got raises, I would imagine the manner in which I'd toss the desk and storm out if I didn't get what i expected. So wehn I actually got the rasie, I was a always a little disappointed that all my planning was for nothing.
I suck.

calicobebop said...

Dude! That sucks! Sorry it's not as much as you hoped - but at least you're able to be philosophical about it. I'm not sure I could stay that calm...

Aubrey said...

Way to turn it into a glass half full! Although I probably would have smashed that glass in her face. LOL

Melisa S. said...

Wow...it's just typical when you work for da man. At my last place of employment they demoted two people, only gave one person a raise and then just recently fired on person that they demoted. They say it's budget cut backs...but they are still out there acquiring smaller companies and the big guns still get all their perks. What's wrong with that picture??