Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thanks, A&E, for making a depressing show ten times more depressing

So big daddy and I were watching Intervention last night on A&E. Partly because there was nothing else on tv, but mostly because it makes us feel like we are superior to at least some people in this world. Last night they featured someone named Bret. He was 44 and a raging alcoholic. He had lost his job, his kids, and his wife. He was a big hot mess.

Then came time for the intervention. He flipped the fuck out when he found out they wanted him to go away to get help. After they threatened to have him committed, he agreed to go to rehab. Big daddy said, "I bet you he's gonna finish treatment." We always make stupid bets with eachother. So I'm all, "There's no way, he's way too far gone for rehab to help." I've learned which way to go because most people on this show relapse, and also I'm tired of losing sexual favor bets to big daddy. I have TMJ for christ's sake!

So anyhow, the end of the show comes on and he did actually finish rehab. And then he died 3 weeks later from esophageal cancer. I'm not sure who wins at this point. I'm going with a tie.

7 comments:

Candice said...

I LOVE me some intervention.

TMJ huh? I've never had that problem. Ever.

Either I have a big mouth, or I've serviced some average sized schlong.

calicobebop said...

Oh yeah - Intervention is my go-to show when I'm feeling low. It could always be worse!!!

Also, I almost choked when you mentioned the TMJ - poor "Big" Daddy. :)

Samsmama said...

That show rules. I watched one once where the guy died. Did he used to own a gym or something? Had a wife? I could totally be making this up. Because when I watch it I like to drink.

I'm forever losing stupid bets. And forever handing out the sexual favors. I even agreed to a BJ just so he'd take us out to dinner last night.

Unknown said...

I'm obsessed with that show! But when I watch it, I shout angrily at the TV the entire time and then feel mad for a while afterwards. Maybe I should stop watching it...

Mary said...

I can't watch any of those shows- they make me feels so...uncomfortable when they confront the people! Then I feel sorry for everyone, and I cry...its pathetic.
although I'll admit- i never thought to watch so I can feel better about myself. That's what i watch Clean House for :)

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad - my sexual favor list has no ending point...

Anonymous said...

I watch Intervention, too. I always wonder if they watch the show after it airs to see how stupid they look all jacked up on crap. lol
Sorry about the TMJ. I always make stupid sexual favor bets and lose too. So is life.